Acting for the LGBTIQ Community
Acting on behalf of clients from the LGBTIQ community demands more than an understanding of the legal principles involved relevant to the matter. It requires an understanding of underlying issues unique to members of the LGBTIQ community. These unique scenarios may be contributing to an issue in dispute, or of social issues facing members of the LGBTIQ community. Boers Associates treat all as equal with the courtesy and respect anyone else would expect.
We have specialist expertise in LGBTIQ matters including:
• Applications for parenting orders in overseas commercial surrogacy arrangements
• Applications for parentage orders in altruistic surrogacy arrangements
• Special medical procedure cases involving transgender adolescents
• Issues of parentage arising out of assisted reproductive technology
• Co-parenting arrangements involving three or more persons
• Altruistic surrogacy arrangements and agreements
• Asset protection and binding financial agreements
• Overseas commercial surrogacy arrangements
• Child support agreements for lesbian couples
• Injunctions in financial settlement cases
• Same-sex parenting disputes
• Co-parenting agreements
• Financial settlements
• Donor agreements
Sometimes it becomes necessary to engage other professionals in Family Law matters, such as Child Consultants in parenting disputes, counsellors in surrogacy matters or forensic accountants in financial settlement disputes. We only use relevant professionals with experience in working within the LGBTIQ community. It is essential that these ones understand the particular issues that may arise in conduct of these cases. We have also developed personal networks both locally and overseas that are of particular relevance to certain LGBTIQ clients, including Surrogacy and Reproductive Lawyers in India, the United States and Mexico.
In some matters there is in difference at law between the treatment of same-sex or opposite-sex partnerships. For example Australia recognises same-sex relationships as de facto unions. In contrast, the legal issues surrounding some matters are unique to same-sex partnerships or to the LGBTIQ community. Boers Associates are not only experienced in the entire area of family law, but are specialists amongst the country’s leading practitioners in LGBTIQ matters. This broad knowledge and specialist expertise mean than no matter what your Family Law case involves, our lawyers have the knowledge and experience to provide you with the most appropriate advice and representation.
Whatever Family Law issue you have, we will explain the applicable law in a clearly understood manner. Additionally, we will work towards achieving the best possible outcome as efficiently as possible. You can be confident that your matter is being dealt with by one of Australia’s leading experts in the field of LGBTIQ family law.